8lb spanish mackerel, you be the judge

Go down

8lb spanish mackerel, you be the judge

Post  gulfcoastgamefish on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:30 am

My buddy Chuck sent me this picture of what he claims to be an 8 lb spanish mackerel that his wife Delayne caught. Now let me give you some background on Chuck. He is a dedicated King fisherman and has won the King category in the Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo. I can't see the fish close enough to see the nerve line, but if Chuck tells me he thinks it was a spanish I believe him. afro

Hey Delayne, let's have some enthusiam there!
gulfcoastgamefish
Captain

Back to top Go down

Re: 8lb spanish mackerel, you be the judge

Post  DOA on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:33 am

Shocked Shocked What neighbor hood is that, it looks like mine?
DOA
Spinnerbait

Back to top Go down

Post  Pier#r on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:59 pm

My gut says it's a small king.
VERY difficult to tell from that angle, but the general shape of the fish and relative size of the eye suggest that.
The dorsal fin is THE best way to tell a spanish from a king though, especially when it's still in the water.
http://www.ncfisheries.net/content/cont1/mackerel.htm

Still, a nice eating fish Very Happy

Pier#r
Slip Cork

http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Summer kings

Post  gulfcoastgamefish on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 pm

I remember fishing on the old State Park pier (the new pier is looking awesome Very Happy bounce Very Happy ) and seeing "the man" wear people out with little summer kings in their ice chest Embarassed . It's very important to know as much as possible about the species your after. It can help you catch more and keep you out of trouble. It's like "the man" told the unhappy people after writing them tickets and confiscating their fish, "because you didn't know doesn't make it right". pirat

If this indeed was a king, it was legal and I am sure it went on the smoker afro .
gulfcoastgamefish
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Ugly Stick on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:01 pm

King Mac not Spanish Mac Hollywood and I were fooled by the young spotted King once but not twice that fish is to long to be a spanish I saw some 5-6lbs spanish this weekend and they were like footballs.
Ugly Stick
Jig Head

Back to top Go down

Post  Pier#r on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:42 pm

At the last ACFA tournament a guy caught similar sized spanish and king (5# +)
Both were legal (like the mackerel in the pic above) but I took a couple of pictures for comparison.

it's easy to see the large black 'sail' dorsal fin on the spanish mackerel (top).

Note the lateral line 'dip' on the king (bottom).
BTW, here's a chart of king mackerel weight to length comparison (averages) that may help judge the legality of small kings.
You can see that over 4 pounds is about the average for a legal (24" fork length) king mackerel.

Hope this helps!

Pier#r
Slip Cork

http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down